CCC Camp Bear Creek

Camp Bear Creek was one of the seven Civilian Conservation Corps camps located in the Shawnee State Forest, beginning in 1933. The camp, with its barracks, officers quarters, and out buildings is now the grounds of the popular Horse Camp, where horse enthusiasts camp out and ride the Forest's many bridal trails.

The enrollees of this camp built the impressive Bear Lake Dam, which impounded the waters of Bear Creek. They cut new forest roads through the area, helping build Roads 3, 4, and 6, thereby allowing motorized vehicle access to the new Forest Experiment Station, which CCC labor built at the Mouth of Snake Hollow.

Cite this Page:

Andrew Lee Feight, “CCC Camp Bear Creek,” Scioto Historical, accessed July 27, 2017, http://sciotohistorical.org/items/show/30.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story